If adoption is a part of your life in any way: birth parent, adoptive parent, hopeful adoptive parent, adoption advocate or professional and would like your blog or website added to my list of links please email me your name and URL. adoptionfyi at gmail dot com

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Adoptive Families Magazine- June 2009


I received my first issue of Adoptive Families Magazine in the mail a few days ago. I am very excited about this addition to our family adoption library. What a great resource! I highly recommend a subscription to anyone who is involved in adoption.






Some of my favorites from this issue:


Ask AF
A reader writes in to ask the AF experts how to explain to her daughter why her birth family has chosen to have very limited contact with her, while her brother's birth family has chosen to have a very open adoption.
This is something I have thought about myself. The response from Counselor Joni Mantell is helpful and insightful. She suggests ways to help a child realize that while different people express love in different ways, that doesn't mean that one loves you more than another. Birth families are the same, they may show their love differently, but they love you just the same.

About Time by Christina Clark
About a family who adopts their son out of the foster care system. This quote just melted my heart:
"I told him that I was his mama, not caring whether that was appropriate. Joseph's eyes met mine. He hugged me and beamed as if to say, 'It's about time!'"

Mother's Day Chocolate by Shelley Lowery

One mother-to-be's struggle with the annual Mother's Day celebration and her Mother's Day miracle.
". . .But this time I was crying the happiest tears I'd ever known. And in my arms, I held something sweeter than all the Mother's Day chocolate in the world."


New Resources I want to look into:


Adoption Grants:

giftofadoption.org
helpusadopt.org
nafadopt.org
showhope.org
parenthoodforme.org

Adoption Loans

achildwaits.org
freeloan.org
oxfordadoption.com
abbafund.org

Family Donation Sites

gotchagiftregistry.com
myregistry.com

Books I may want to read:

What Every Adoptive Parent Needs to Know: Healing your Child's Wounded Heart
by Kate Cremer-Vogel and Dan and Cassie Richards.

Star of the Week: A Story of Love, Adoption, and Brownies with Sprinkles
by Darlene Friedman and Roger Roth

What did you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment